Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Answell
Contributing MemberPosts: 910Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to craig66, Feb 25, 2013

craig66 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

But I've found my 55-200 also very very sharp. I've never been disappointed with it, and it's always been one of my favorite, and at times my most favorite lens, right from the getgo. I'd love to see a good accurate critical comparison of the 55-200 and 55-300. Do you know of any?

No I don't but I would be interested to see a shoot out with these and the Tamron 70-300 USD and Sony 70-300G.

There's no doubt that my 55-300 is much better than my 55-200, but I did buy the latter used and it's possible that my sample is not up to scratch.

As for kits with the 18-135, Hong Kong sellers still have A65+16-135 going on eBay for about $870 AUD shipped. In Australia this is a great deal because there is no import duty or any charges on goods of value less than $1000. In other countries, of course, things may be different. I've bought stuff from Hong Kong sellers and never had any problem at all. I've just bough a Nissin Di866 flash from a HK seller, expecting delivery tomorrow, for $238 shipped . "Bricks and Mortar" price in Australia -$449. Why wouldn't you?

I am sorry that I have not replied to some of the suggestions posted, but I have been very busy reading reviews of all the possible lenses that I want to buy, and with the exception of the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, I am not convinced that I want any of the others. To be honest, apart from the it being a faster lens, I am also not convinced that it is any better (sharper) than the Minolta 24-85mm that I have been using. This is my opinion only, so don't shoot me. I am thinking that my choices the  so far is to keep the 50mm 1.7, the 28mm 2.8 the (beercan) 70-210mm and the 24-85mm. It is not my only camera as mentioned in my post. I have all of the faster glasses for the Nikon D300s, and telephoto lens as well for my needs. Your responses are appreciated however .

I would like to take this opportunity to follow up on this post, as I do think that we should spend our money more wisely, and stop giving in to the big box office retailers  who is governed by the manufacturer.  Photography as it is, is  already a very expensive hobby , and make it more so by buying new lenses at these inflated prices. I have good lenses for the Nikon, but each, and everyone is a used lens purchased on ebay in near to new condition at a fraction of the price . I am not the least bit concerned about the manufacture's warranty, as in my experience so far, I have yet to send any of them anywhere for service.

If I had the choice to buy every lens or camera that I want .. it would be from a seller internationally. South Korea, Australia, Honk Hong, and so on. Not only are their prices better, the service is impeccable , the lens are as advertised, the shipping is most times free, I receive it in half the time it takes to get it from the US , (thanks to our customs agencies for this) and  again, no inflated shipping charges  as buyers like me are beginning to dislike with the ebay sellers from the US. No problem if you live there, but as soon as it is international, they want 3 to 4 times more than anywhere else, especially for shipping. If we are to support our countries, and stop spending abroad, our sellers need to change, and resist the desire to keep inflating their prices, charging so much for shipping, and taking so long to send the product after it is paid for.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow