Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mdg137
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
D800E to 5d mk. III? paralyzed by analysis
Feb 25, 2013

With my D800E in the shop for focus issues, I have been ruminating on a switch back to Canon (left in 1995). I find myself considering this only because I have doubts that I can trust the autofocus of the D800E-- and that the 85mm has focus shift, exactly between apertures I use.

Looking for any feedback from other who may have done the same, or can point out something I am not considering. I apologize in advance for the length of the post...

I find myself in the unenviable position of shooting two distinct subjects-- about 55% portraits (nudes) and 35% urban landscapes, with a smattering of other subjects thrown in. Some of my portraits can be seen HERE (absolutely NSFW)

I love shallow DOF, and never print larger than 40x30, but also rarely print smaller than 18x12-- usually, around 20x30.

When shooting portraits I am usually using my 35 f1.4G, 50mm f1.2 Ai-s or 50mm f1.4G, and 85mm f1.4G. With landscapes, usually the 14-24mm f2.8. I never shoot above 180mm.

I am in a position where I could make the switch, and get the canon 14mm, 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.2, 100 macro, 135mm f2, and 200mm f2.8, with a pretty minimal outlay of funds, possibly even breaking even.

Ive done some comparisons, including enlarging the images from both cameras to 40x30 (ish)-- There is an obvious difference in resolution of fine detail, but I am not entirely sure how much of that would translate to print.

If I shot one subject or the other, this might not be a quandry.
Any thoughts appreciated.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow