Sony Playmemories Software: what is it good for?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple Solutions ...
In reply to nosnoop, Feb 25, 2013

nosnoop wrote:

Photozopia wrote:

Tried a card reader? About as easy as you can get - no hassle.

OTOH, have you tried the USB way?

And no hassle? Have you tried using the card reader to transfer video files? You may not have much problem digging through the subfolders to find the files, many other users do. Not only that, how do you deal with all those meaningless file names? And for inexperienced users, using card reader could risk deleting files or corrupting files inadvertently.

USB transfer using MTP would automatically group all the stills AND videos under [date] subfolders, and all the video files renamed with a useful [date][time] file names. So it is very easy to find, say, all the video/still captures you did today. In addition, it would protect inexperienced users from corrupting the files.

Most laptops have SD card readers - might as well use them. Folder structure can be confusing the first time, but that's it. As for filenames - what do you expect? A semantic description of a picture? Does your photo management software support batch file renaming? Mine sure does and it's free. You must not forget that one naming scheme doesn't fit everybody's requirements.

Transferring this way is also the quickest by a large margin (great for video files). However, I would not recommend deleting files from a card, but if you must, go ahead. I usually quick format the card before every shoot.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow