Like?
Re: Chicago murder rate far worse than during Al Capone 'gangland' days
In reply to kcbeatty, Feb 25, 2013

kcbeatty wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

The main point of the Chicago report is that more gun laws are not going to have the intended results. The anti-gun groups get a warm fuzzy feeling when they are successful in getting more gun regulations. All they end up doing is restrict the law abiding citizens. The problem is guns in the hands of criminals and they have no problem in violating laws.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

If that is the only conclusion you can draw from that news report, I am beginning to think that you have a closed mind.

If excepting the truth means I have a closed mind then so be it. Chicago already has the most restricted gun laws of any city in the US. That hasn't even slowed down the problem. So until I know that I can't be attacked by a criminal I will keep my guns for self-defense.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

You are not accepting the truth, you are accepting defeat. The case of Chicago is pretty unique. Its gun problem is fueled by gang violence (predominantly Black) who got their guns through straw purchase, trafficking from other states, or other illegal means. It's like a house that's leaking everywhere.

It's easy to say gun laws doesn't work or to blame law enforcement, but you need to look at the underlying causes.

NY Times - Strict Gun Laws in Chicago Can’t Stem Fatal Shots

I think this guy has a point.

[Chicago is like a house with two parents that may try to have good rules and do what they can, but it’s like you’ve got this single house sitting on a whole block where there’s anarchy,” said the Rev. Ira J. Acree, one among a group of pastors here who have marched and gathered signatures for an end to so much shooting. “Chicago is an argument for laws that are statewide or, better yet, national.”]

A quote from the article you posted above:

"And a relatively common sentence in state court for gun possession for offenders without other felonies is one year in prison, which really may mean a penalty of six months, said Anita Alvarez, the Cook County state’s attorney, who said such punishments failed to serve as a significant enough deterrent for seasoned criminals who may see a modest prison stint as the price of doing business.

“The way the laws are structured facilitates the flow of those guns to hit our streets,” Garry F. McCarthy, the Chicago police superintendent, said in an interview, later adding, “Chicago may have comprehensive gun laws, but they are not strict because the sanctions don’t exist.”"

What they don't mention is the Federal Law that gun possession by someone convicted of a felony is a minimum of 7 years in a federal prison. Right now firearms possession is a secondary offense, which means only if they are arrested for primary crime like drug possession, and they happen to have a illegal gun possession will they be charged for the gun offense. They need to make gun possession a primary offense like drugs, robbery, and murder.

If they get serious about gun laws enforcement things might change.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

That's a good point but I tend to think it has more to do with legislation and the Court and not law enforcement.  Here is the same story, every now and then we see cases that the sentence is too lenient, and unfair to the victim and family.  I don't know what's the reason behind.  In the case of Chicago, maybe the prisons have not much room left.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.
Freedom without discipline is chaos.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow