Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
flashdiet
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
For those who have FF DSLR AND m43 and love street photography
Feb 25, 2013

I own a micro four thirds system that I've been using since Christmas. I have the omd, panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, and olympus 75mm. I bought all of this new for $2200 through strategic rebate/deal hunting, all from authorized dealers. Took a lot of time but I saved $400 and I'm pretty proud of the deals I got. But I miss my canon 5d.

I am thinking of going with used Nikon D600 and keeping it simple with a 35mm and 85mm prime lens which would come out to about $2100. If I sell all my m43 gear, I think I could get around $2100 back, which is a loss of $100, but its okay since I used a $100 gift card in the original purchase anyways (so I guess I would break even when I sell my gear?).

Do you think this is a good idea? I need someone to convince me out of this. I keep buying new m43 gear, and I can't help but think that with the same amount of money, I could be buying full frame gear. Don't get me wrong, I love my m43 gear. Its just that, when I look at the files from my old Canon 5d classic, I really miss the files.

The reason I moved to m43 was because I had a fear of getting up real close to people when street shooting. The OMD REALLY helped me overcome that fear, because now I use the Panasonic 14mm to take pics of people literally 2 to 3 feet from them.

So my question is two-fold:

1. Is it a smart move to move from a kit where the majority of my money is in the lenses (I have $1400 in m43 lenses) to full frame, where the majority of my money is in the body(d600 is about $1600 to 1700 used)? I think I already know the answer to this.

2. Even if I am comfortable taking pics REAL close to people with the OMD, do you think I will get different/bad reactions from people when I use a DSLR? When I use the OMD, I get a positive reaction. People smile back, and some even pose for me.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow