Front yard drama (and lesson learned on being prepared)

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Direr
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
Front yard drama (and lesson learned on being prepared)
Feb 25, 2013

It was a nice sunny morning today when I saw a few crows start to gather in my front yard. I stepped out to see what they were crowing about but did not see anything amiss - my first mistake.

A little while later, there was suddenly a very loud din and peeking out of the window, the few crows had grown to over a dozen and every one of them seemed to be in attack mode. I rushed out to the front yard -my second mistake - and saw a large hawk wrestling a crow on the ground.

My sudden entry less than 15 feet away seemed to disturb its breakfast plans. I did not wait but ran inside to grab my camera.

By the time I returned, camera in hand, the action had drifted and I could see no sign of predator or prey. After looking around I spotted this magnificent guy in the tree overhead, probably angry with me for depriving it ofbreakfast.

I am not talking to you.

In my hurry (in my defence, the crows were still heckling him like crazy), I did not adjust my settings so this was way underexposed at 1/8000 ISO 800 but given this was a k5 iis and I was shooting raw I did recover somewhat.

Shortly after I took a couple of shots, the crows managed to chase it away. I wish I were better prepared and I could definitely have done much better with such high drama mere feet away and right in my front yard.

Well, I will be keeping a look out for this vistor - my wife later said she saw him actually eating a pigeon a few months ago right in this same tree so chances are I will be lucky again, and you can bet I will be prepared!

Cheers,

Abhijit

Direr's gear list:Direr's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs +1 more
Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow