D800 (wireless) tethered shooting

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alec
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?
Re: D800 tethered shooting - Specifically WiFi
In reply to denooyer, Feb 25, 2013

QUESTION: Is it possible to use a USB->WiFi adapter, connected to Nikon D800's USB socket and a power source, to at least transfer JPEGs over WiFi (not wireless USB) to some software?
I would like to implement a faster alternative to wireless shooting on my D800 than EyeFi Pro X2.

So far I understand that a DIY solution using Wireless USB (like this Cables Unlimited DisplayDock Wireless USB Docking Station ) is what people have used to get roughly 2x speed improvement over EyeFi.

What confuses me is Wireless USB (as in USB -> Some Wireless Protocol -> USB) is sometimes used in discussions / postings on the subject interchangeably with USB -> WiFi. Furthermore it seems Nikon's own adapters seem to work over bona fide WiFi, as do EyeFi cards. Do Nikon and EyeFi implement an image host/server function that a USB->WiFi adapter connected to Nikon's USB output would not?

I just need JPEGs transferred to the computer (Windows 7 if that helps) at a low latency / high speed as RAW+JPEG images are being taken.

I'd love to use 802.11ac protocol to wirelessly tether Nikon D800 to a PC for JPEGs. Perhaps ideally using Asus USB-AC53 connected to the camera and power source and talking to their RT-AC66U .

Many thanks!

Alexander "Sasha" Karasev
principal photographer
Karasev Studio

http://www.facebook.com/KarasevStudio

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow