Canon Powershot P&S + E-TTL cord + Speedlite flash + Monopod ==> How to connect?

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Canon Powershot P&S + E-TTL cord + Speedlite flash + Monopod ==> How to connect?
Feb 25, 2013

Have:

1. Canon Powershot G12 P&S, which has a hot shoe,
  2. Speedlite 430 EX II external flash,
  3. E-TTL cord that connects the above & allows the Speedlite to be connected to a tripod or monopod, and
  4. Monopod.

NOT using the monopod for long shutter times, since my targets are fast moving as is.

Problem: Find it difficult to hold the flash in one hand, and operate the camera with the other.

Ideal solution: Something that connects both the camera & flash to the monopod, but doesn't restrict them to the same plane.

Fallback solution: Connect the E-TTL cord to the flash, then connect the base of the E-TTL connection to a Gorillapod.  Attach the Gorillapod to a piece of furniture, or even my arm.  Camera can be hand-held or on a monopod.

Advantages of the 2nd solution: Free because I have the components.  And mobility, since hand-held is one less item to carry.  But this countered by the need to find something for the Gorillapod to grip.

Any suggestions?  Posting something similar on the Powershot forum, but without the details.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow