S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread 2013.02.20

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark Carr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,949
Like?
Re: Tom - Re: S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread 2013.02.20
In reply to TomC601, Feb 25, 2013

TomC601 wrote:

I have the Manfrotto pistol grip but that still requires you to squeeze the handle. Need to get a good ball head. Any recommendations?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I probably have the same grip. It works well but it somewhat cumbersome to carry around and pack.

There are so many different brands of ball heads, and the feature list varies from brand to brand. I have the relatively inexpensive Benro BH1, costs only $60.00 +/-, and it works quite well. Had no problem securing my Fuji S2/3 with the Tokina 100-300mm f4, which is a very heavy lens. Didn't notice any slippage at all. But there are ball heads with 2 or 3 knobs that allow for panning, friction control, etc., it all depends on what you need. Some use proprietary quick release plates, as does my Benro, while others use the standard Arca-Swiss plate. You can spend several hundred dollars on a ball head, for me it just isn't worth the extra money. I prefer to keep it simple, one knob allows me to compose the image and pan if desired, so on a moments notice I can do everything.

By the way, I also have a Benro tripod and it's great. Much cheaper than the other brands but the quality is outstanding.

Regards,

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
bazzNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow