Dpreview RX1 review is up

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the point of a superb lens if the camera is slow to focus in low light?
In reply to Ariston, Feb 24, 2013

Ariston wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Ariston wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

The RX-1 can deliver astonishing IQ from an astonishingly small package of exceptionally high build quality. Is that enough to justify a tradeoff in low light focusing? Apparently, for many users, it is. Others will have to decide for themselves.

Rob

I don't think that majority does agree especially if it's not selling or few users own it. the justification for it's price is difficult especially with such compromise.

Do you have any information on actual sales figures? I think that we can all agree that the RX-1 is a niche camera, due to its high price tag and fixed prime lens. I cannot imagine that Sony ever expected it to be a big seller, just as Leica does not expect big sales figures from any of its cameras. Still, from reading online reviews from actual users, I would say that the satisfaction level with the RX-1 is very high. That is because most of those who buy it are aware of its limitations and are willing to live with them in order to gain such incredible IQ from a diminutive camera. And who knows, perhaps low light focusing can be improved to some degree through firmware updates.

Rob

I have talked to some Sony contacts and they said that the RX1 is a hard sell even to the above average enthusiasts and professionals. they have a hard time convincing them to invest on the RX1, that is why they encourage or allowed free hands-on demo shooting outdoors for certain individuals to promote the product and encourage others to buy the camera for how much it's worth. a word of mouth sort of thing but still quite a suspect since the price and it's AF performance is something really that is pulling away the consumers from actually investing the camera especially with the camera options we have for this year.

firmware might be able to solve a few of the issues about the AF but I doubt it would do better than the other AF implementations on other cameras.

Its obvious the RX1 is not for you, it shows in most your posts.Overseas a friend of mine says the RX1 is one of the most sought after camera's, contrary to what you seem to be hoping.   WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow