Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brazo
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
CZ16-80 vs Tamron 17-50 for landscape purposes
Feb 24, 2013

I have been wondering (and asking on here!) about the performance of these two lenses on the sony aps-c 24meg sensor.

So rather than continue to moan I put my hand in my pocket and bought a used copy of the Carl Zeiss 16-80 to test against my Tamron 17-50.

So I present my findings below:

The test here was done at F8 as thats what I stick to for landscape purposes. The test purely relates to frame sharpness. I did some tests at F4 and the Tamron was the sharper lens but onto F8.

All done with a Sony A65 on a tripod, stead shot off, manual focus, remote trigger. Focus point and exposure was always the same in each image. All shot in raw with no adjustments made.

Firstly the wideangle. It was difficult to set the Sony at 17mm, it doesn't record 17mm in the exif at all so in the end I opted for 18mm or thereabouts for both lenses. You will see the two images are nigh on identical in terms of framing.

My own thoughts on sharpness are they are practically identical, if you stare at them long enough you will just go mad! If you pushed me I might say the Tamron edges it in the corners but its anybodys game.

The scene as shot with the Tamron and the crops, focus point was the lettering

Firstly the centres

Now the corners

Next at 24mm the centre sharpness is in my opinion identical but quite clearly the Tamron is struggling in the corners. Here the Zeiss really starts to pull away.

The scene as shot with the Tamron and the crops, focus point was the lettering

and the corners

Lastly a 50mm comparison, Not the best focal length for the Tamron, the Zeiss was significantly sharper at centre and corner, also significantly more contrast.

The scene as shot with the Tamron and the crops, focus point was the lettering on the red carrier bag

And the corners

Hope this has been of some help!

Brazo's gear list:Brazo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow