Do Fast Lenses Matter Anymore?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Photomonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,345Gear list
Like?
Re: Do Fast Lenses Matter Anymore?
In reply to bruxi, Feb 24, 2013

For me a fast lens means my AF is that much snappier. As far as shallow DOF that is not my interest usually as I photograph scenes where I need a fairly good DOF.

I am often in venues where a slower lens has trouble focusing where the faster lens locks on allowing me to get my shot at ISO 6400 or higher.

I shoot architecture at f11 or smaller.

For landscape I want f8 or smaller.

For portraits I never use an aperture larger than f4 on my 70-200 2.8L as I get far fewer keepers even on a tripod.

The dilemma I have is that in low light I want a high shutter speed but ALSO an aperture of at least f5.6 or smaller for decent DOF of the subjects I am shooting. (candids at meetings where I cannot use flash).

As I shoot a 5Dmk2 and mk3 the FF works against me in this regard. I am seriously considering an m43 system specifically for low light high DOF work. The other bonus is that I can find cameras with quieter operation for the discreet work I need to do.

At bottom, what you shoot and what you need to achieve will determine if you need to invest in expensive, fast lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow