jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,938Gear list
Like?
Re: 12 questions on the Olympus OM-D/ Lumix GH3 - before I take the 4/3 plunge
In reply to ken henke, Feb 24, 2013

ken henke wrote:

jalywol wrote:

ken henke wrote:

I do a lot of macro work, and, oddly enough, I use a very vintage micro Nikkor 55m f3.5 non-AI lens for most of it. You could use your current Nikon lenses with a simple adapter (I use a Rainbow Imaging one, about $20), and keep the lens throw you are used to.... There are two M43 macros at present, and both are very good, but to be honest with you, after trying one of them out, I realized that since I use manual focus almost exclusively anyway for macro work, and the Nikkor was just as sharp as the native lens, that I didn't really feel the need to spend several hundred dollars to get the performance I desired. YMMV, of course....

Thanks for your response on the experience with macro. And, yes, there really isn't any need for auto focusing with macro work, thus, my Tamron 90mm could be a choice. However, I would most definitely be looking at teh weight difference between the Tamron/adaptor and the micro 4/3 choices.

Ah yes, if you have the Tamron, it's a bit clunky and kind of a long focal length for macro on teh 2x crop of M43.  I had one also (great lens!), for my prior Nikon system, and it was the last of the lenses that I sold because I wanted to give it a shot on the M43 for a while.  It turned out to be too big, heavy, and long in fl for how I preferred to use it, so I ended up with the 55mm macro instead (which is a perfect fl length on M43).  In M43m there are two dedicated macro lenses; the PL 45mm does have OIS, and the Oly 60mm, which does not.  Either would work admirably for your purposes.

Both the OMD and the GH3 are terrific cameras. If you do a lot of tripod work, the IBIS in the OMD is less of a draw than if you were doing more hand-held low light photography. The ergonomics of the GH3 are beautifully designed, and for macro work, the articulating screen also has an advantage.

You hit the point precisely...the IBIS may not be my biggest conncern since I use a tripod a lot. In fact, in most cases, at least with Nikon, one should turn off image stabilization when using a tripod. That said, with the lightness of these 4/3 cameras, I may start to expand my photography to move to more spontaneous images utiliziong hand holding. Thus, if the GH3 was my camera, I would be limiting myself to Lumix lenses. Which, by the way, I don't see as a problem right now with the great choices available.

Actually, I don't limit myself to Panasonic or stabilized lenses.  In fact the only two stabilized lenses that I have are the 14-140mm and the 100-300mm (at long focal lengths, stabilization is quite useful, especially if you like to handhold).  I have the Oly 12mm and 45mm, and the Panasonic 14mm and 25mm, and then about 6 or so other legacy SLR lenses that I use which, of course, do not have any kind of IS.  I don't find that a problem with any of them, honestly.   At shorter focal lengths, just minding the shutter speed and having good holding technique takes care of camera shake for me in most cases.  YMMV, of course, but not having IBIS has not hindered me in the use of the camera at all.  In other words, there is really no need to limit yourself to Lumix lenses, especially at the lower focal lengths (the only Oly prime that I would think twice about getting without the IBIS is the 75mm, since that is just on the long side, for me, of where IS becomes more important) My very most favorite, in terms of IQ, M43 lens happens to be an Oly; the 12mm f2, and there is certainly no issue whatsoever with something of that fl not having IS behind it....

However, only you know what works best for your use, so my advice to try them both out still stands....I really think you will be able to make a decision pretty quickly once you handle them; the one that is right for you will just feel better to you in use.  That should be your choice.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow