Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,900Gear list
Like?
Isn't This What FZ Owners Want Also?
Feb 24, 2013

Interesting question posted at the m4/3 forum asking members what it would take for them to leave the m4/3 format. I see a lot of these features also desired by FZ superzoom users, with many already part of the FZ150-200 series. Panasonic has the ability to build a camera with such qualities, but then it might be a one camera company. How would you answer this poster?

Contributing Member
Dheorl

Just a purely speculative exercise, but what features/physicaly characteristics would a camera need for you to leave m4/3 in favour of it?

I think for me it would be:

A super zoom with a largish sensor (for a super zoom, maybe even up to a 1")

Zoom range of about 24mm to 3/400mm

A proper manual zoom ring and some sort of manual focus ring

Tilty/flippy LCD

1080p60 video recording at 50mbps

Quality EVF with focus peaking

Weather sealed would be appriciated

Shoots RAW

Fast auto focus

Good range of manual controls.

I realise what I've basically just described is basically a GH3 with a superzoom lens on it, but I'd like to think that a smaller sensor + fixed lens would enable it to be made considerably smaller and lighter.

Either that or a camera which is identical in every way to a high end m4/3, includng size, lens size, lens f-stop etc, but with a FF sensor and the image area from the glass to cover it. Unfortunately physics seems to be preventing this from happening, so I'll just keep on dreaming about the first option.

What camera could make you leave m4/3?                                                  
-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow