Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lukep
Senior MemberPosts: 1,897
Like?
HDR advice.... tips and suggestions for my D600 and braketing for HDR
Feb 24, 2013

Hi all, in my quest to find some good ND filters I ran into HDR software.  Wow its actually sort of fun.  I am testing Photomatix, what are you tips on how to get real looking images out of this.

With my D600 and the great detail in the shadows i am getting good results, but I have to lift the shadows sooooo much that i get noise and loose detail.  So maybe HDR will help?

Do you shoot and import RAW images into photomatix? or do you convert them to JPG first?  Do you then export as TIF and process from there?

Do you bracket by 2 or 3 stops?  Does it even make a difference to shoot 5 shots or  is three fine?

What settings to get the most realistic photos?  do you just use their "default" image setting?

Speed is important, i dont like to waste time processing images.  Any tips for making this fast and easy?  I still think shooting one shot raw and finding some good ND grads might be faster but does not work in all settings

Below is what i am shooting and getting now.  I usually expose for the sky and pull up shadows and I am happy with the results but still looking for better shadow results while maintaining the sky.  Thanks for any help!

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow