Micro 4/3 Lens Question: Two Different Goals and Applications

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,159Gear list
Like?
Considering other options...
In reply to iim7v7im7, Feb 24, 2013

For macro, don't feel limited to the two native macro lenses.

Plenty of good legacy glass out there... add an adapter and you'll have a macro for much less than either the Panny or Oly m43 macro.  Or perhaps pick up the 4/3 ZD 50 macro plus 4/3 to m43 adapter.  Super sharp lens, but needs the EX-25 to reach 1:1 (Did you need to reach 1:1?)  For macro work on a tripod, size isn't an issue, and AF isn't as important either.

Travel lens:

The 12-35 seems a bit limited in range to me.  (maybe not to you?) Considering the compact size of m43 lenses, I wouldn't hesitate to take more than one.

12-50 for general, all purpose, all weather lens.

9-18 for when I need wider (Skip if you never need to shoot wider than 12)

40-150 for a bit of reach (skip if you never shoot long)

One fast prime: 17/1.8, 20/1.7, 25/1.4 or 45/1.8, depending on which you'd use the most in low light situations.

I can fit 4 lenses in my jacket, and batteries/charger/cards in my bag... I wouldn't take a separate camera bag

If you're going to do much hiking, I'd consider taking a monopod that could double as a walking stick.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow