Micro 4/3 Lens Question: Two Different Goals and Applications

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Micro 4/3 Lens Question: Two Different Goals and Applications
In reply to iim7v7im7, Feb 24, 2013

iim7v7im7 wrote:

I am still pondering which body to choose between an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 (...)

For Travel: I shoot outdoor landscapes in the countryside and architectural shots (both indoor and outdoor), closer up pieces of nature while walking about with the occasional shot of my dog (more static shots than action). I am looking to travel with a body, a SINGLE lens to travel

Any m4/3 normal zoom lens would be fine. All of them are good. Some of them are slightly sharper but none is bad. The Lumix 14-45mm used to be my main lens for traveling. But these days, the one that I'm using as my main lens is the Lumix 12-35mm. This is the kind of result that I'm getting with that versatile zoom:
http://jpmartel.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/le-nord-de-la-vieille-ville/ (skip the French text)

For Close-up Watch Photography: There are two choices here: Olympus 60 mm F2.8 Macro or the Panasonic Leica 45 mm F2.8 Macro.

The M.Zuiko 60mm has very thin DOF. For macro shots of insects, there is no problem. But for relatively big objects (like watches), you'll need to use high F-stops and a lot of light. I don't have any experience with PL 45mm but theoretically, you should have a little more freedom (DOF) with the latter. In any case, both are very sharp lenses and I don't think you'll regret buying any of these.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow