40-150 vs. 40-150 R

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,952Gear list
Like?
Re: 40-150 vs. 40-150 R
In reply to jrg, Feb 24, 2013

jrg wrote:

What's the big difference other than cosmetrics? Better video performance? According to Olympus:

Retaining the high performances of the previous M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 telephoto zoom lenses, incorporate the MSC (Movie & Still Compatible) mechanism and achieve fast, quiet AF using the inner focus method.

Anyone owned both?

Yep, they both have the MSC focus system and seem exactly the same to me. Maybe they changed the coating somehow (but looking at the two from the front, nothing's different), and the outter cosmetic changes are obvious. I have the original and paid $99 to buy the "R" version for someone, have used it with my E-M5 and they perform exactly the same, right down to the same tension in the zoom mechanism. I like the cosmetics and "feel" of my original version better.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow