Another which lens next question, sorry.

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iwaddo77
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Another which lens next question, sorry.
Feb 24, 2013

Hi

Sorry for yet another what next question but I’ve been searching through the forum and cannot quite see the answer to my question.

I have had my 600D for 12 months, I have not really developed any sort of style or preferred type of work and I use it mainly when on walkabout, though I am hoping to try some projects this summer. I shoot both RAW and JPEG and produced some quite decent images on a recent trip to London shooting JPEG most were just cropped and tweaked slightly in LR.

I purchased the 600D with an EF-S 18-135mm IS lens, deliberately chosen to give me maximum flexibility without constantly changing lenses. I have since purchased the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II which I enjoy using.

I was given three other lenses from my father-in-laws SLR days which all seem pretty ordinary; they are an Canon EF 38-76mm f4.5-5.6 (1995), EF 35-105mm f4.5-5.6 USM (1992) & EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 (1995).  I have tried the 75-300 at the zoo and did get reasonable shots but I’ve not tried the other two. Do any of these lenses really merit taking up space in my study?

Anyway, to my main question, should I buy another lens for my birthday?  I hear and read lots about buying a better lens but I’m not sure of why and just how much difference it will make to my images; from my reading I quite fancy the EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM, but the key question is will I really see the difference for the £600+ it will cost, will my wife recognise the value?

Then of course do I then need a second lens, perhaps something a little wider and does this make my 18-135 redundant?

Thank you in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow