Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,901
Like?
Panasonic to Shrink
Feb 24, 2013

I've been predicting that many of the camera makers would begin reducing the models they produce or closing their operations. I think that only half or less of the manufacturers will survive the next few years and cameras in general will become more expensive again.

On the News & Rumors Forum, I found this link to a story about Panasonic's plan to cut 1/3 of the product lines they produce or sell, after a 2-year loss of about 14 billion dollars. This will probably be followed by other electronics companies limiting their operations. Sony may fill in the gap, but will likely have to cut their proliferation of similar models and raise prices on those they continue to sell. Those lines that don't show a good profit for any manufacturer may disappear.

I remember starting with camcorders 25 years ago, when they cost twice as much as comparable models today (four times as much, considering inflation). There were only a small fraction as many models available and things may be heading back in that direction. We've surfed on a high wave of advanced features and reduced prices and it is now crashing on a rocky shore. The ride is over. Wouldn't it be funny, if some U.S. and European companies re-emerged and started producing cameras once more?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-12/panasonic-ceo-attacks-sprawl-in-bid-for-profit-tech.html

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow