Should I use Adobe RGB, or SRGB color control settings on my camera?

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GBJ
GBJ
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
Should I use Adobe RGB, or SRGB color control settings on my camera?
Feb 24, 2013

English Bay beach, shooting back towards the city, and the end of Denman street.

I am a moderately experienced photographer, but I am new to editing photos.

When I bought my camera, I wanted to learn first how my camera works. After the first year and a half went by, then I practised composition to become good at that. Lastly, I want to become a photo editor.

I have a question that I was hoping experienced photographers would be able to give me advice with. Should I use Adobe RGB, or SRGB color control settings on my camera?

I also have a Asus Proart monitor, for my computer. It has a wide gamut of colors.

I have always used SRGB, atleast for my 3 1/2 years that I have owned my D700.

I am just now starting to get some good results with editing my Raw files. I am truly amazed how a photographer can get an ok/sort of good photo out in the field, and adjust the settings of exposure, contrast, fill, recovery, white balance, hue, saturation, sharpness, noise reduction, blur...etc. and as a result end up with a photo that is a top notch keeper.

So, because I am learning all this newly, I was wondering if there would be an advantage to using Adobe RGB over SRGB?

If so, do I need to set the color space to Adobe RGB on my computer screen too?

Thanks for any tips you are willing to share.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow