Fast-moving subjects with A99 - Advice needed?

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Fast-moving subjects with A99 - Advice needed?
Feb 24, 2013

Yesterday I had a nice opportunity to try out my new Sony A99 + 70-200 F2.8 G combo in a Big Air happening in Oulu, Northern Finland, With all those skiers and snowboarders jumping and flying in the air, I tried my best to freeze the motion with this new combination, but it surely was not too easy.

The weather here was quite gray and dull, because the sun refused to show up, but this time of the year this is quite normal in Finland. Anyway, here are few of my best captures from yesterday afternoon.

My Sony 70-200 F2.8 G is a nice condition second hand version of the lens and I got it just two days ago, so I haven't had a time to try it out in real life shooting circumstances. This was also the first time for me to try out the new AF-D focusing system of my A99.

Now I'd like to ask a little help to get best possible speed and results out of this combination.

Which settings would you recommend with the Sony A99 on this kind of situations? Which Focusing mode and AF area are the best choice when shooting fast moving flying subjects like these? Any other adjustments to take care of?

All of these pics were shot in a AF-D mode with the object tracking on (tracking focus with shutter), but sometimes I missed a few shots when camera refused to shoot the photos (probably the focus was not quite spot on?).

I also took few shots with my NEX-6 equipped with LA-EA2 adapter and Minolta 28-135 mm Secret Handshake lens and when shooting with the 10 fps this combination felt more responsive and speedy, than my A99. That's quite impressive, specially when you think that this old and sharp Minolta lens is from the year 1985!

I have been very happy with my A99 and now I just need some advice and more training to master this camera better in a different shooting conditions.

Thanks in advance from any usefull advice!

jonzalez's gear list:jonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow