Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451
Like?
Re: Flash - Again and Again
In reply to tom, Feb 24, 2013

tom wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Jeadm wrote:

I have a Metz 50 AF-1 I bought used that I'm happy with and have no issues. I actually purchased over a used Sony 42/43 on forum advice complaining about wobble and false contact for some. The Metz slides on just like the Sony but has a screw down locking mechanism which keeps it pretty tight, works for me.

That said, it's difficult to troubleshoot further if the problem is in the body unless you've experienced problems with multiple flash heads... or have another body lying around to troubleshoot the one flash.

i believe I have read a few posts where they complain about the loose fit of the flash unit to the hotshoe. Haven't you? The Sony contacts are tiny, tiny little points of metal and the spring mechanisms of the little posts that are supposed to hit them are really small. This just cannot be a good plan.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

The original Minolta AF camera series had the same small contacts and used the "standard" ISO screw-down flash mounting. I had many problems with that making intermittent contact (and with film it was a real annoyance).

It must have been common problem since on the second AF camera series Minolta changed to the "Minolta" flash shoe and foot with the snap lock/push button release which worked very well and had no play. (They probably should have changed the pin size also, but didn't).

I never had any problem with that flash arrangement on my Minolta film cameras, and found the locking mechanism to be much better than the ISO screw.

However, when I bought my A700, I noticed that my flashes wobbled and that the connection was looser. I assume that the dies were showing wear or were manufactured out of tolerance.

Sony has changed the flash connection to a modified standard ISO system. I have no idea if this is just another proprietary feature of if it will improve things. However, an adapter is needed to mount old flashes on the new shoe - which can't be an improvement.

tom

Yes, well, if they could just make an adapter that would FIX the loose fit problem, not necessarily adapt it to another design, I would be happy.

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow