Minolta 24-85mm RS f/3.5-4.5 on Full Frame

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
John McMillin
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
Lovin' my 24-85 RS
In reply to Bosman71, Feb 24, 2013

One of the true delights of using the alpha system is the variety of midrange zoom lenses available, especially in the Minolta line. Does any other mount offer a choice of walkaround zoom lenses as broad/ There's the the splendid little 35-70/4 "prime zoom", the excellent and massive 28-135/4, the first-gen Baby Beercans, and my own favorite, the 24-85 RS. It's fortunate that the 24-85 is actually an excellent lens, because its light weight and ideal size & range make it irresistible anyhow. PLus a non-rotating front element? Check. A sturdy, petal-shaped lens hood? Check. On my a850, it's just big enough to balance the camera nicely, and keeps the size of the whole package similar to many lesser DSLRs.  And that 24mm setting is indispensable. When you need wider, you really need it. You can't crop more wide into my photos in PP.

The sharpness it gives is noticeable even before enlargement. I may not have the most critical eye, but I've only found one optical flaw with the M24-85. The bokeh can be harsh -- perhaps the result of its two aspherical elements? This lens was the first to use two asphericals, IIRC, so it was stretching the state of the art back in the mid-90s. I've seen in listed in contemporary magazine ads for $450, so it took the place of the Zeiss Vario-Sonnar back in its day. I'm happy to pay $150 for a good used copy, especially since the lenses have gained stabilization in the intervening years!

John McMillin's gear list:John McMillin's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow