Slick Deal on Studio Set Up

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,020Gear list
Like?
Re: I wondered how lights like those attached to modifiers....
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Feb 24, 2013

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Then I googled "Universal Speedring" I guess if you want to trust friction vs. gravity they'd work.

The older universal speed rings, which is what came with my first studio strobes, had bolts that you tightened to attach the speedring to the body of the flash.  The only way I could see to keep even a barn door on the flash was to tighten the bolts so hard that they penetrated the plastic body of the flash but I knew that if I did that I would likely let the magic smoke out, and studio strobes just don't work well once the magic smoke escapes.

Recently I saw one that used a rubber lined flexible metal ring that clamped around the studio strobe.  That might actually work, but my question is why buy that when you can get quality lights with real speedring attachments that are know to work?

Seriously, buy quality studio strobes and you won't be disappointed.  Buying just one high quality strobe is better and cheaper than having a full set of low quality cheap strobes that don't work properly or die quickly.

Seriously your beginning guide should be required reading.

Thank you for the compliment.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow