Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268Gear list
Like?
Cleaning the E-M5 Sensor
Feb 24, 2013

My E-M5 sensor needs cleaning. I have seen many cautions on this forum saying don't try to do the cleaning, yourself. Yet when I look at that (broken glass?) plate in front of the sensor (photo here ), I can see no reason why you could not fairly easily clean the sensor (cover) yourself with a cleaning kit. I am extremely reluctant to entrust my camera to oly USA for this job after reading a couple of bad stories about careless handling and packaging of the returned camera.

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully cleaned his E-M5 sensor. If I hear from several successful people, that is all I would need to do it myself.  It has been a couple of months since I saw the last thread on this topic and I thought maybe some brave soul has done the cleaning job himself since then.  I know all the warnings about the "floating" sensor, but am not convinced.

I don't usually put much stock in manufacturer warnings about self help.  Have seen too many bogus warnings about using ONLY the manufacturers product to (clean, lubricate, service, etc) their product.

So, has anyone actually successfully done the sensor cleaning?

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow