Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,001
Like?
Re: Micro 4/3 Lens Question: Two Different Goals and Applications
In reply to iim7v7im7, Feb 24, 2013

iim7v7im7 wrote:

Hi,

I am still pondering which body to choose between an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 but let's leave that aside for a moment until I go and try them in NYC. It will come down to size, ergonomics and feel between these two I suspect. Assume the lenses that we are discussing will be used with one or the other (I do realize that the OMD has the image stabilization in the body and not all the lenses being discussed have it built in).

Regarding micro four third lens options from both Olympus and Panasonic I am wondering which to initially invest in to for my photographic purposes:

For Travel: I shoot outdoor landscapes in the countryside and architectural shots (both indoor and outdoor), closer up pieces of nature while walking about with the occasional shot of my dog (more static shots than action). I am looking to travel with a body, a SINGLE lens to travel with (I know, a tall order of compromise), memory cards a back-up battery, extra memory card and perhaps a polarizer.

Which lenses should I consider?

I n prime lenses the Olympus 17 mm F1.8 and Panasonic 25 mm F1.4 seem like potential options but might be too limiting. In zooms the Panasonic 12-35 mm F2.8 seems like a good option as well.

Thoughts and Suggestions?

For Close-up Watch Photography: There are two choices here: Olympus 60 mm F2.8 Macro or the Panasonic Leica 45 mm F2.8 Macro. I like the build quality of the Panasonic over the Olympus but I suspect the Olympus can be used from farther back to get the same image. If any of you have experience with both, I would appreciate your input.

SO configuration one is the versatile compact traveler set up and the macro is for home use in my tabletop diffuser cube.

Thanks,

Bob

Seems you already have preference so I suggest Pana 12-35mm F2.8 for travel. Then the Oly 60mm for Macro.  If budget is an issue then the cheaper all in one is Oly 12-50mm - weather sealed, wide at 12mm and included macro at 43mm.

have fun on selection process

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow