K5 IIs at Death Valley (7 pics)

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,351Gear list
Like?
Re: K5 IIs at Death Valley (7 pics)
In reply to MrPete, Feb 24, 2013

MrPete wrote:

What exposure mode(s) do you typically use for these type of shots?

I ask because with each shot I find myself wondering why you chose that f stop / shutter speed combination. Obviously, if P mode, the camera chose

To my eyes, the cameras with no moire filter in front of the sensor have a certain "punch" that almost appears somewhat "3D" to me. I liked my K5, but after seeing pics from filterless sensor cameras, my K5 files always seemed to have a slight gauze over them - or somewhat constained. To my eyes, the K5IIs files are K5 files that have been set free.

Tks for posting the pics. Loved them.

Pete

I use Aperture priority most of the time and manually increase ISO if I need to increase shutter speed. For landscapes, I would start with f8 at ISO 80. When I need to increase the DOF I will stop down to f11 or f16, but seldom below this due to refraction.

For the shots on Dante's View it was very windy (50mph) and the tripod was getting buffeted a fair amount, so I went to ISO 400 and f5.6 for some shots, although I did regret the loss of DOF.

With the shots in the middle of the day (canyon hikes) I went handheld. To keep the shutter speed high, I used ISO 400. It was fairly bright, so I was usually able to get a shutter speed of better than 1/1000s and ISO 400 doesn't make too big a hit on DR or noise.

I have seen tests on Pentax Forums showing the increase in sharpness with the removal of antialias filter, but I do think the lens makes a difference and the Pentax primes deliver great micro contrast helps greatly putting the punch into a shot.

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow