What is the maximum advantage you can get out of RX100 RAW? Examples please!

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
YiannisPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618
Like?
What is the maximum advantage you can get out of RX100 RAW? Examples please!
Feb 23, 2013

I am not talking about fixing mistakes, either yours (not exposed correctly) or the camera's (got the WB wrong). I'm talking about getting more out of a photo for which you and the jpeg engine did the best possible at the moment of the capture.

Now this will depend somewhat on personal taste, for example what do you consider a good compromise of noise vs detail. Obviously the jpeg engine goes for minimum noise in the expense of fine detail, but in general most people who use RAW would be happy with slightly less creamy-smooth pics and more detail in return.

I am using LR by the way and I'm not sure what's happening with other programs. That said I've briefly used Sony's IDC and have seen other people's conversions using DxO and neither looks to be offering more room for improvement than LR, but cannot be sure.

In general I have found it is more difficult to best the base ISO jpeg pics than the high ISO ones. The base ISO OOC jpegs strike a good balance of noise and detail in my opinion for most uses, apart from maybe printing a large poster. In another thread I showed an example of improving a high ISO shot with RAW. Here's another shot I worked on recently, this time in good light and base ISO (some of you will have seen it already). I think with base ISO it is a more difficult task to get something arguably better than the OOC jpeg. This particular photo (shot in jpeg & RAW as I usually do with the RX100) allows a larger than average advantage to be gained from RAW.

First here is a crop from the center, on the left is the OOC jpeg and on the right the RAW conversion. I did bump up the red a bit in the RAW pic which maybe I shouldn't have done, but the focus here is on the extra detail.

And the whole frame, first the OOC jpeg, then the RAW conversion:

OOC jpeg, sharpness set to +1 in camera

Same capture converted from RAW to taste

I printed 1/8 of the image on an A4 paper (which is equivalent to printing the whole image on A1, more or less 33'x23') and the RAW conversion is definitely sharper/more detailed when you look from close.

Can you show a case where you get a non-negligible advantage using RAW? In my case it's got more to do with extra detail, but it can be highlight recovery too, even if the original exposure was good. I mean non-negligible extra DR that you cannot recover from the jpeg as well.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow