How would you spend $2k on lenses for landscape?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shawn in ak
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
How would you spend $2k on lenses for landscape?
Feb 23, 2013

I'll be in the eastern Sierra Nevadas for 6 mos working and hopefully spending much of my off time shooting around Yosemite, Death Valley, etc. I currently have a D800 and 24-70 G. I have about $2k max that I can put toward some glass before I go in May. I'd like something wider and also longer, though the 24-70G fits the bill for a lot of my shooting. In general, I'm looking for glass that's on par with the performance from the 24-70, though that might not be possible given my budget.

Nikkor 14-24 and 17-35 are probably out due to price, Nikkor 16-35 is too mushy on the edges for my taste. Nikon 70-200 f 2.8 is out due to price, and I don't need 2.8 on a lens in that range anyway. I have ge

Possible Contenders for Wide Angle:

-Samyang 14mm (Cons: distortion, MF only, lack of filter use. Pros: sharp, wide, cheap)

-Nikkor 20mm D (Cons: possibly not up to the D800, not wide enough for all situations. Pros: filters, relatively cheap) Possibly combine this with the Samyang 14.

-Tokina 16-28 (Pros: price, performance. Cons: Lack of filter use).

-Wait for Samyang 24mm tilt shift

-Save up for the Nikkor 14-24, get mid summer

Possible Contenders for tele:

-Nikkor 70-200 f/4 (Only con is it's a little pricey and doesn't have a 77mm thread, otherwise it fits the bill nicely).

-Should I be considering something else here?

Thanks!

Shawn

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow