Image stabilization; who has the best?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,352Gear list
Like?
Re: Image stabilization; who has the best?
In reply to joejack951, Feb 23, 2013

joejack951 wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

I don't know about you and EinsteinsGhost, but in my experience, there is almost always some kind of action when I use long focal lengths. Apart from the occasional moon shot, I can't remember using long focal lengths for still subjects.

Look up Lance B.'s gallery. He posts a lot in the Nikon SLR lens forum. He frequently shoots wildlife with a 500/4VR and takes advantage of both the lens's VR and animals' freakish abilities to sit still.

Does he hate using tripod?

And if there is action, I need some rather high shutter speed anyway, no matter how good the image stabilization is. I pretty much agree that 2 stops of stabilization help is all I can utilize without getting motion blur from subject movement.

That depends on the focal length, of course. At 800mm (not unreasonable with teleconverters and/or a crop camera), you can still freeze some action even at 3 stops of stabilization (1/100").

Personally, I opt out of stabilization when shooting action. But, at least we're not talking about needing 5-stops anymore. That being said, what kind of action are we talking about freezing at 1/100s?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow