Can Sigma 35/1.4 also trouble the waters for Nikon 24/1.4?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 35/1.4 does trouble the waters for Nikon 35/1.4?
In reply to ARB1, Feb 23, 2013

ARB1 wrote:

ADMint wrote:

sroute wrote:

ADMint wrote:

I know the lens smashes Nikon in price, but as I asked before, how's the build quality (sigma)?

On the surface, build quality looks excellent.

It doesn't have a 10 year recyclable symbol on the side - this is an all metal lens. The lens hood is plastic but sturdy and twists on with a reassuring click. Manual focus is quite good bordering on excellent in my view - not loose at all, perhaps slightly stiff but I'd rather that, and no play. I'm coming to this lens (and the D800) after years using *only* manual focus Zeiss lenses.

It looks good and inspires confidence.

Would I want to drop it? Nope.

10 year warranty for Canadian buyers, yay!

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I may give it a look. Now I'll just have to decide if I still want Nikon's 28mm 1.8G or this Sigma 35mm.

Oh, and since I'm in the U.S. I wonder what that warranty would be?

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

I'm in the same boat but I just couldn't get past the build quality of the Nikon 28mm so I returned it. I may wait to see is Sigma comes out with an Art line in 24 or 28mm 1.4 or 1.8 and if they don't I'll get the 35mm 1.4.

-- hide signature --

Allen

I bought the Sigma 35 about 3 week ago and have absolutely no regrets. Build quality is solid, image quality outstanding, excellent sharpness, and good contrast. And it balances very well on my D800E.  I posted here on it: Really like Sigma’s 35 1.4 Art Line Series

Anyway being that I went with the 35, I may give Nikon's 24 a look. I just can't see having both the 35 and 28 at the same time.

Good luck on your decision.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow