12 questions on the Olympus OM-D/ Lumix GH3 - before I take the 4/3 plunge

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Questions thread
Rol Lei Nut
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Re: 12 questions on the Olympus OM-D/ Lumix GH3 - before I take the 4/3 plunge
In reply to ken henke, Feb 23, 2013
1. Are they significant issues with sensor dust on the Oly and GH3?

All answers about OM-D: No. Only had something else (pollen?) stick to the sensor a couple of times

2. If so, can one clean those sensors themselves?

People say that the OM-D shouldn't be self-cleaned, but I cleaned mine those couple of times with no ill effect

3. For macro images, my technique is primarily focus stacking. Thus, I either use a focus rail or better yet, use very small incremental manual focus movements of the lens. Can anyone comment on their experience with focus stacking using one of the oly/gh3 macro lenses? The ability of a macro lens to have a lot of manual movement is typically called "lens throw." The more, the better. I have to say, I have seen some of the macro images taken by these cameras/lens handheld and was quite impressed. However, I never handhold my macro images so I'm encouraged that the quality will be outstanding with a tripod.

I use a legacy macro lens (Leica 60mm) with a bellows for those kind of shots...

5. I am still confused over the Oly lenses(Zuiko). Do they need an adaptor to fit onto the OM-D?

If you mean 4/3 lenses (as opposed to m4/3), yes.

6. I really like the idea of the articulating screen on the gh3, particularly as it relates to macro photography. However, for those with the oly, is their tilt screen sufficient or do you wish it had the same movement capability as the gh3?

Sometimes, but not that often.

9. I am assuming on all Zuiko and Lumix lens, one can utilize a manual focusing mode?

Yes.

10. What are the experiences folks have on moving focus point via the rear screen? I believe both cameras have that ability? I would find that quite a nice advantage over DLSRs. Oftentimes, I have to use focus stacking to get DOF in a landscape scene.

On a tripod, can be very useful.

11. For landscape images, I am often confronted with high dynamic range scenes. Thus, HDR software or exposure blending is often used. I noticed both cameras have a nice range of multiple auto bracketing exposures available. In fact, more exposure range than my Nikon. Any experiences with auto bracketing you can relate?

The OM-Ds bracketing is akward to turn on, but in fact I rarely need or use it.

IMO for nature, landscape and macro work, I'd strongly prefer the OM-D.

Especially if you use legacy lenses (say a Leica 60mm macro), IBIS can really help.

Also, I prefer the Oly 75-300 to the Panasonic 100-300 as it's smaller, lighter and handles better. But using it on a camaera without IBIS (=no IS) would limit its usefulness greatly. Many more examples of that kind can be given (Panasonic's folly in not adopting in-camera IS).

The GH3 is larger, gets more noticed and tends to intimidate subjects more than the OM-D. If you *want* to be noticed that's fine (just add a huge white lens and you're set!), but for travel the OM-D will help keep you keep below the radar...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow