Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pgerrish
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Best app for Metadata handling?
Feb 23, 2013

Does anybody have any suggestions for primarily a metadata editor for the Mac. In process of moving to Mac from PC (15000 images mainly jpeg ) where I have been using IDImager but realised that 90% of use is for editing the Metadata - specifically Title, Headline, Description, Keywords (my own hierarchical format) , GPS data, EXIF ( data if time zone need adjusting) in multiple files at once and keep IPTC and XMP Metadata in sync . I am also keen to keep the image Metadata in sync with the data within the database/library.

iPhoto does not seem to support hierarchical keywords and editing the full metadata set. Aperture will allow full Metadata editing and has advantage of 3 licences ( will help as will have iMac, MBPro and older MBAir ) but seems not as convenient for Metadata as IDI (tried Aperture at local Apple store). Aperture users also seem to warn against keeping the file Metadata in sync as takes long time and cannot run in background. Aperture does support hierarchical keywords. I have looked at LR which seems to meet my needs but also contains large amount of editing and is licensed at one machine per licences.

Is there a program that focuses properly on Metadata with IPTC, XMP, File sync, Hierarchical keywords etc.. or am I best just looking at the Aperture vs LR or even IDI Supreme (but this seems a little unproven at present) and if so, is Aperture or LR best in terms of Metadata handling (sync etc.)?

Thanks

Paul

UK

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow