Nikon D7100 will kill Panasonic GH3

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Usee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,517Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 will kill Panasonic GH3
In reply to micksh6, Feb 23, 2013

micksh6 wrote:

Very similar weight and size, superior sensor with 1.3x m4/3 crop mode at almost 16 megapixels and faster FPS. Long reach is about the same as m4/3 with the same FL provided that the lenses are of comparable quality.

Size and weight are different enough - especially with lenses taken into account -

that not only me would prefer to carry the GH3 a whole day around instead of the Nikon...

...beside that the GH3 has the best ergonomics I encountered so far - great balance and grip,

together with controls in the right place.

Lens size/weight advantage of m4/3 isn't always applicable. Nikon 55-300mm DX is about the same size/weight as Panasonic 100-300mm. Same can be said about Nikon 35mm F1.8 vs Pana 25mm F1.4.
Recent video test of D5200 at EOSHD suggests video capabilities of Nikon cameras improved a lot.

OVF, autofocus tracking, better DOF control and significantly better sensor (assuming it's D5200 sensor), all for $100 cheaper than GH3. What's left there for GH3?

Have You ever tried a GH3?

Even with the old, but still peerless 7-14 mm it focuses reliable and very fast - not only in well lit situations...

...something the Nikon has to show including their video capabilities...

...and the GH3 has a silent shutter release and no mirror slap!

Micro 4/3 has its advantages - a combination of compact bodies and lenses. It's a system that can be worn on a belt, a body plus 3 lenses can fit in couple of belt pouches. But it's true only if the body is compact, and that's why I chose m4/3 system. I can pay for compactness, but GH3 is far from being compact. Even GH2 wasn't. These and G5 are just DSLR-sized cameras without advantages of DSLR.

The GH3 has (in my hands) a better ergonomics than other DSLR, it is a tad smaller and significantly lighter...

Now, how would justify GH3 being $100 more expensive than D7100 while being inferior in almost any feature that matters?

Well, I haven't seen a point so far, where the D7100 is clearly better than the GH3:

The body - no

Video - probably not.

Image quality - maybe, but with which lenses...

-

However, it is good to have the choice and I wouldn't choose the Nikon if I had to choose...

-- hide signature --

Envy is the highest form of recognition.
Stop to run, start to think.
Think twice - that doubles the fun!
Your world is as big, as Your mind.
Avoid to have only one point of view!
Uli

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow