Advice needed on composition.

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Questions thread
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,579Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice needed on composition.
In reply to apaflo, Feb 23, 2013

apaflo wrote:

Or, why not just learn how to frame reasonably well when using the camera. I don't mean in the purist sense like those who don't ever want to crop anything at all, but in the sense of learning just how much room is likely to be useful for the style of photography you personally do.

Agree with Apaflo,

If your not capturing the image that you want then the problem is occurring as you press the shutter. What compositional elements are you checking for? Do you check for poles sticking out of people's heads, bollards sticking into the bottom of a shot, overly bright patches of sky in the corner of a shot.... the amount of space around your subject is just another one of the things you need to add to your mental check list.

Getting to the point where that is automatic is sometimes just a matter of going out shooting just for the express purpose of practising. Don't worry about shooting great shots just walk around concentrating on running through your mental check list. It is basically a mental version of what you have to do when you get a new camera. You need to practice to get used to the button/dial placement so that you can get to the point of making adjustments while shooting on the fly.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow