Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249
Like?
3 amaizing legacy zooms nobody ever mentions
Feb 23, 2013

Just like many others I like legacy glass, but for some reason nobody seems to be using the early AF lenses from 10-20 years ago, and there are quite a few great specimens. The early AF lenses unlike modern ones had aperture rings and smooth precise focus rings, they can be as easily used for manual focus as the older fully manual lenses. In particular Nikon D lenses and Pentax FA lenses are rare gems and work well adapted to NEX.

I have these three

Nikon 28-105/3.5-4.5D, Pentax-FA 24-90/3.5-4.5, Pentax-FA 28-105/3.2-4.5

Though the lenses above cover the same range, each one is so good I can't think of selling any. The Nikon lens is the sharpest and the heaviest, it can also do 1:2 macro, with great contrast, no CA, no flare problems. The 24-90 Pentax is my favorite, almost as sharp as Nikon, but the colors it produces are very lovely, and the FL range is very nice. It's also lighter, just 12.5 oz (355g). And another Pentax 28-105 produces same pleasing colors, almost as sharp, and weighs only 8.5 oz (240g).

I must mention that Pentax lenses were assembled in Vietnam, that might explain why there were a lot of variations in reported quality. The first Pentax 28-105 I got from keh.com was a complete disaster, soft and decentered, not usable until f/8. The second copy I got from ebay was very sharp and cheaper as well. So though those lenses are very good, getting a good copy may require several attempts.

P.S. all those are FF lenses, so I think they will be even greater on the coming FF NEX.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow