Extremely Toxic - Mitakon 0.95 35mm MIC

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
Re: Big vs. Pretty Bokeh... Aperture vs. Apodization
In reply to verybiglebowski, Feb 23, 2013

verybiglebowski wrote:

I believe the key word here is "better". While apodization might increase and more importantly smooth OOF areas, this is not something that we can call better. Just different.

How bokeh enhance/detract from a particular image be very subjective, but clearly the majority of people generally favor smooth OOF areas. They certainly expect them. In fact, even many image processing algorithms written by people who ought to know better assume that OOF PSF are always Gaussian blurs. That said, technically perfect lens OOF PSF would be evenly-lit discs with sharp edges.

However, the way OOF are rendered is part of the lens character, and it can't be qualified.

Well, over the last few years I've characterized OOF PSF of over 125 lenses. There's no magic here. I've done this for computational photography processing. However, all of it could equally well be viewed as just helping an artist to know when to use which brush.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow