Moving to FX, on a budget. Should I invest in good glass first & wait for D600 issues to sort out?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gaberino
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Moving to FX, on a budget. Should I invest in good glass first & wait for D600 issues to sort out?
Feb 23, 2013

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, but not sure what the best route is. My current setup is a D200 with the 17-55 2.8 as my primary lens, and a few other cheapos which I rarely use.

I shoot nature for fun; landscape, lightning, close ups of plants, etc. I occasionally shoot people (with the camera!) and products in a lightbox for work. I am a website developer by trade, but a photographer at heart.

My 3 big reasons for wanting FX are first and foremost, low light performance, followed by higher image quality/dynamic range and the bigger angle of view / less DOF factors.

My dilemma is that I don't have a ton of money to go out and get both an FX body and a really good lens. I really do not want to bother with cheap glass. I see no point in the kit lenses that are instantly worth $350 or less, only open up to f/4.5, cover the entire zoom range but make soft, distorted images, etc. I want to invest in good glass.

The D600 puts FX within my reach, but getting a brand new and good lens like the 24-70 2.8 or similar along with it would be a bit outside of my budget at this point.

I do have concerns about the D600 sensor oil issue, but I also feel confident that I could clean the darn thing if I needed to.

My thoughts are:

1. Get the D600 and a good prime lens or 2 for starters, like the 50mm 1.8, or maybe a wide angle and something like the older 35-70 2.8 AF-D
  2. Spend the money on a really great FX lens and use it on my D200 until I can save up for the D600, with the hopes that by then the sensor problem will have been address with an upgrade or something

I'd be very appreciative of input on this. Thanks!

Nikon D200 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow