Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: D 7100 6 shot Raw Buffer IMO D400 still coming
In reply to Michel F, Feb 23, 2013

Michel F wrote:

Stusteelhead wrote:

After a bunch of searching found the D7100 buffer specs. to me 14 bit 6 shot buffer means a D400 has to be coming, http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm either that or canon will have a banner second half of the year.

-- hide signature --

www.raincoastphoto.com

I can't see a D400 in Nikon's future at this point. In regards of the D7100's pricing, a D400 would put it too close to the D600's price and possibly impact its sales. I hope I'm wrong and I truly wish Nikon would say if it's in the works or not to end the debate and endless rumors once and for all.

I don't know what Nikon actually will do, but can you explain why (with DRAM so cheap) Nikon artificially limited the D7100 buffer to only 6 RAW shots?  If they intended for the D7100 to be the top-dog DX camera, then they'd sell a lot more of them to the DX action shooters (now shooting with a D300) if they gave it at least a 2-3 second buffer size at max fps (15-25 RAW shots).

But, they apparently chose specifically to limit it.  I don't think Nikon is dumb about this, so the only plausible explanation I can think of for artificially limiting the D7100 size is because they are planning a product above it in the DX product line that will have a larger buffer (and probably other things too like 8fps, dedicated AF-ON, 10-pin accessory connector, etc..).

Can you think of any other reason why they'd artificially limit the D7100 buffer size?  I can't.

As for pricing, there's a giant space between the D7100 and D600 in price.  If the D7100 had come out at $1400, then I'd say that they decided to split the difference between the D7000 price and the D300 price, but they didn't do that.  The D7100 price at launch is exactly thesame as the D7000 price at launch.  Nikon didn't attempt to fill in any of the $900 gap between the D7000 and D600 list prices.  To prosumers, that's a big gap with plenty of room for another camera around $1500 or $1600.  Plus, since a D400 and a D600 would be fairly different products targeted at different buyers, they could even be priced the same.  For $2k, pick the product that better matches your needs.  I don't think that will actually happen (I expect a D400 would be around $1600-$1700 if they make one), but it could and it could still be a rationale pricing scheme.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow