Image stabilization; who has the best?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,349Gear list
Like?
Re: Image stabilization; who has the best?
In reply to joejack951, Feb 23, 2013

joejack951 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I didn't say it was useless. In fact, one of the images I posted was mentioned with use of 2-stops of stabilization. My point being overstated need and overhyping of number of stops needed to get it right.

Do you prefer to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200 vs. 100? If not, then you could have used more stops of stabilization for some of your photos. Nothing was moving so shutter speed is a non-issue. You wouldn't have shot at those high ISOs on a tripod, right?

To prove something? Or to actually rely on EVERY other aspect of the tool at hand? I prefer to shoot for the conditions, and definitely don't see a need to push limits on one thing when it can be spread across other areas. So, ISO 1600 worked with 2-stops of stabilization, instead of pushing for ISO 100 with 6-stops, holding 100mm (150mm equivalent) FL for 1/2s. May be if my cameras disappointed at anything but ISO 100, I would be pushing for help elsewhere.

And yes, I would likely use ISO 100, 1/2s and have the OS off with tripod because then I won't be pushing any limits.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow