Aperture doesn't have distortion correction for lenses?

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Questions thread
kevinparis
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Re: Aperture doesn't have distortion correction for lenses?
In reply to Mark B UK, Feb 22, 2013

Mark B UK wrote:

kevinparis wrote:

Mark B UK wrote:

I know people say that Aperture automatically corrects distortion for m43. I've been using m43 for about 4.5 years - first a GH-1, now an E-M5 - and it has been my experience that if it does such corrections, it does them very badly. The Panny 14-140 is well known for epic vignetting at long focal lengths. When I imported RAW files shot with that lens, the vignetting remained. And the Zuiko 12mm on my E-M5 is famed for barrel distortion if uncorrected; it is very visible when I import my RAW files to Aperture, but I cannot detect it when the same files are viewed in Lightroom.

I therefore conclude that if Apple claims m43 RAW files automatically have lens corrections applied on import, either the claim is untrue or the functionality is very poorly implemented.

1) Nobody is claiming that vignetting is something that is addressed by Apertures lens correction... there is a devignette tool in Aperture.. never had cause to use it so can't testify to its capability

2) I dont have the 12mm , so I can't run the test that would prove that Aperture applies the same lens correction as the camera would if it was shooting JPEG - namely shooting RAW and JPEG and importing both into Aperture and see if there is a difference.

3) Aperture and Lightroom take different approaches to the issue of lens correction. Up until Aperture 3 there was no lens correction in Aperture at all, after version 3 there was support for the corrections specified by the lens maker embedded in the RAW file. Lightroom on the other hand seems to offer a deeper level of identification and control based on a lens profile and adobes interpretation of what needs corrected

4) Aperture does do lens correction... maybe not the lens correction you want... but don't deny it does it.... also curious how you claim to have been using micro 4/3 for 4.5 years starting with a GH-1 when the GH-1 was only announced in March 2009....were you a Panasonic beta tester

K

-- hide signature --

if you really must see my photos then try
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/

OK, maybe I meant 3.5 rather than 4.5 years' use of a GH-1. Otherwise, I stand by what I wrote.

AFAIK there are three types of lens correction that can be performed in-camera or in PP: vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberrations. You admit Aperture doesn't touch vignetting. I think we can both agree that Olympus bodies don't capture chromatic aberration data so I shouldn't expect that to be fixed by Aperture or Lightroom if files are output by my E-M5. I should, however, from GH-1 files, but saw no evidence of it from Aperture.

As for E-M5 files, as I mentioned previously I have one lens - the 12mm Zuiko - that is well known for high barrel distortion, unless corrected. It is easily seen by the naked eye when files are imported to Aperture, but invisible in Lightroom. I'm honestly not making this up, and nor am I a highly pernickety person who is complaining about a small amount of barrel distortion that few people would worry about. Put that together with the chronic vignetting on shots from the GH-1 and 14-140 above 70mm and significant chromatic aberration on some shots from both cameras and I conclude that either Apple's claim that Aperture applies lens correction to m43 images is bogus, or the quality of the implementation is very disappointing.

Agreed there are 3 types of correction.... Aperture has adjustable tools for 2 of these...CA and vignetting... you can argue the effectiveness of these, but for what ever reason Aperture does not autocorrect these parameters.

What it does autocorrect (and without any option or control) is the distortion of certain lenses, as per information embedded by the lens manufacturer, to the same specification as the internal JPEG engine in the camera.. Thats all it claims to do and all it does do.

It is very possible that the default level of correction that Olympus defined for the 12mm is less than what LR offers because maybe LR isn't reading the embedded information, but is applying its own recipe.

You can prove me wrong of course by taking a shot with the 12mm on both cameras in RAW and JPEG and importing them into Aperture 3.0 or later. If the RAW has different distortion than the JPEG, then there is something wrong with Aperture and it is not doing the right correction with this lens. I don't have that lens , but I do have many other Oly and Pana lenses, that no doubt have distortions that need correction... but I have never seen them in my images.... I did see distortion with the 20mm way back when I used Aperture 2...but not after Aperture 3.0

K

-- hide signature --

if you really must see my photos then try
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow