NEED SOME HELP WITH LENS SELECTION

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: I didn't like the super zoom
In reply to Answell, Feb 22, 2013

Well you have an interesting arsenal of lenses already.  Maybe there isn't much more you need to do until you've decided?

Otherwise I would go with used gear if you're looking for better than superzoom quality.  For highest IQ cheap I saw KEH had the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for $330-350 which is a nice highly regarded lens, and probably a keeper even if you decide to go Sony and purchase more expensive glass.  It's lightyears better than your 18-70 (scorned by many) to be certain, the weakest in your collection IMO and probably the range you should put the most focus on improving.  The Sony 18-135 fills a bigger gap, sells for around the same price used as the Tamron but not as sharp.  The new Sigma 18-250 is $399 now so not much more, but then you're back to superzooms again.

You go much more than that and then you're getting into the higher end glass that you mentioned.

Actually my experience is similar.  I shot Minolta back in film days, went Canon in digital for years (most recent 60D), then to Sony most recently.  Hedged my bets when I returned, trying to decide which system to go with and which to get rid of.  So I did what any shameless gearhead would do:  kept both and spent more than I should.

But my Canon is sorely neglected these days.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow