OM-D "changing" RAW files in Viewer 2?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions thread
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,073Gear list
Like?
Yes, yes, yes, no
In reply to BHPhotog, Feb 22, 2013

BHPhotog wrote:

Resetting the raw development parameters in the Viewer is not "editing" the raw file, it just ignores the conversion options that were suggested by the camera. Aside from that dark green composite that I attached above there is no less "edited" transformation than that. Ok, one could convert ORF to DNG first, but the DNG file would have to get edited just the same - distinction without a difference.

This is an interesting phrase that Viewer "...just ignores the conversion options that were suggested by the camera." That helps.

That's exactly it. The raw data will be the same as long as ISO, aperture, and shutter speed are the same, but the EXIF keeps the tags for sharpening, contrast, etc. The Viewer applies these tags when you open the file, but you can go back to the Raw tab and tell it not to apply them (instead of "As shot" use 0 (e.g., for contrast), or lowest value (e.g., sharpening). To be fair, most other converters will use the "As shot" settings by default when opening the file, so this is the rule, rather than exception.

Does this follow:

• a Sharpness setting of "As Shot" in Viewer reflects my in-camera setting of Noise Reduction and Noise Filter as "Off ?"

yes. If you are in doubt you can choose the "Off" options in the menu and see that there is no difference.

• a RAW/ORF file converted to a TIFF file but leaving Sharpness to "As Shot" means no additional sharpening is applied to the TIFF file?

yes

If you want to apply changes outside of these limits and on top of them you can use the Edit tab.

not exactly. You do not add or subtract, you replace the camera setting. The "as shot" options will be removed and the new options will be applied instead. Something has to be applied to develop the raw data into a viewable file, so you always have to choose something, but only one option is ever applied to the original raw data during conversion. If you had in camera sharpening +2, and then change it in the Viewer to +1, then the final sharpening will be +1, not 2+1=3.

• Then, I can add to, or subtract from, the settings in Viewer, but only within those limits.

yes

• And the same goes for the other settings such as Mode, Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, Gradation?

It then comes down to whether Viewer, or Lightroom or Aperture gives me the tools that let me make my subjective "best" corrections.

The only advantage of the Olympus Viewer is that it gives the same famous Olympus colors. There are also rumors that it can utilize some proprietary information that Olympus is not sharing with 3rd parties. Other than that, it has a clunky interface and is slow. Here's a video of Robert Knight comparing the default outputs of the Olympus Viewer and Lightroom 4.

If you like the Viewer colors you can create a batch processing file and convert all files with the same setting in one shot, instead of doing every setting by hand.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
          Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
          Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
          Post (hide subjects)Posted by
          P.S.New
          Keyboard shortcuts:
          FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
          Color scheme? Blue / Yellow