Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OleThorsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921Gear list
Like?
I would buy this $1,999 D400 in a heart beat
Feb 22, 2013

In my opinion the D7100 is in no way a D300 upgrade even though the D7100 is a very competent enthusiast DSLR and will be very successful with a fantastic value for money relation.
In Europe D7100 is classified as a consumer DSLR while the D300 and hopefully the D400 will be classified as a professional DSLR, but more important be specified as a PRO DSLR. Looking at the D7100 specifications it's clearly more a D7000 upgrade. In some areas the D7100 will "only" be at the level of the basically 5½ years old D300 design i.e. the Multi-CAM 3500DX autofocus, and in other important areas like body build and responsiveness and suitability for action photography it would be a outright downgrade for a D300 owner like me, with the main part of my  photography being i.e. small warblers, tits, chickadees and finches. Some photographers not usually shooting action has a hard time to imagine what it means to fill a buffer after only 1s of shooting at full speed.
Nikon left plenty of room for a new D400 (mini D4) for both specification and price. Historically Nikon and Canon APS-C DSLRs have never gone head to head with their line-ups and this will probably be the case after this upgrade cycle again but a more close race this time with

D5200 → 70D → D7100 → 7DII → D400
I would buy a new D400 with the following specifications in a heart beat. Would you buy it?

D400 and D7100 specifications

Regards
Ole Thorsen
http://www.pbase.com/ole_thorsen
OMNISCIENCE
Knowing what
thou knowest not
is in a sense
omniscience.
(Grook by Piet Hein)

OleThorsen's gear list:OleThorsen's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 +24 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D40 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow