Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Flash - Again and Again
Feb 22, 2013

Sony a37, FVL-42 flash, two of them.  If I just slap the flash onto the camera and start shooting, no flash. Not in wireless mode, all settings correct.

Whereupon I go back to the studio and spray some contact cleaner onto all contacts, and then it seems to be orking again.

I think the contacts in the camera and flash are pretty tiny and unreliable.  In a standard hotshoe, there are 3 very large contacts and they almost never fail. Same problem occurs with extension cable when using a flash bracket.

SOLUTION: Sony needs to design an interface for their hotshoe that makes tight contact on both sides. Might even want to make an adapter/interface that can change their 6 point contact to the normal 3 point.

Did you guys say that the Metz flashes work a lot better than the Sonys? Why, because the contacts are better?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Sony SLT-A37
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow