soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
Re: What is the point of Grey ink?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 22, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

soloryb wrote:

paris1968 wrote:

I have no idea how grey is actually used in color repoduction, but on my Epson 7900 the Light Light Grey cart drains itself faster than any other, and I hardly ever print B&W.

Same experience here with more gray ink usage than other colors with the 3880. I also experienced this with my HP b9180 - where I used gray at twice the rate of any other color. I don't print B&W at all, so this puzzles me.

Wht should it puzzle you? Gray as well as black IS used in Color Printing as much as the actual colors. Medium and deed shades of color will use gray as well as black since you can not really composite deep dark tones just with the CMY inks alone. They are there for a reason.

Thank you for explaining.

What you say makes sense for the subjects I was printing - which were mostly landscapes and animals with dark tones.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow