What tripod should I get?

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Questions thread
KWEnz
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
Re: What tripod should I get?
In reply to nkistrup, Feb 22, 2013

nkistrup wrote:

Buy something cheap, like the Dolica, and you will regret wasting your money. If you serious about photography, you will wise up & buy something serious like Gitzo or RRS.

And if you are going to get serious, think about not just the weight of your current setup, but also where you might be 5 yrs down the road.

Number of us bought cheap, and eventually got the good stuff. Hank3152 is in the ballpark with the amount that you need to spend. Have seen heads alone way over $1000.

What does the extra $$$ buy you? Stability, light weight, quick setup, versatility.

Have you considered something like the Manfrotto 055XProB tripod?  It is solidly built and sells for about US$140.  I agree with the other posters that spending $60 on a tripod is more or less throwing money away and you will regret the purchase, but I disagree that you need to consider spending big dollars too.  The Manfrotto 055XProB tripod is excellent value for money, extends very high (good if you're tall or need a high vantage point), and has a unique centre column that can be turned horizontally (and even upside down) which makes it great for things like macro and close-up photography.

My advice, if you haven't quite got the money you need at the moment, is not to waste what you do have on a flimsy tripod.  Wait and save a little longer and get something reasonably decent that will last the distance.

-- hide signature --

Ken

KWEnz's gear list:KWEnz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow