Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Coming from Canon to EM-5.
In reply to ThomCull, Feb 22, 2013

ThomCull wrote:

Hey everyone,

I recently sold my Canon gear in favour of the EM-5 solely because I go back country hiking for days at a time often over 100's of kilometres and I can't stand to carry the Canon any more. Given that this is over a long period where I must carry food, and water sometimes weight is pretty much my biggest concern but I also want to have decent quality, I'm aware I won't be getting 5D Mk3. Most of my shots are between 25-50mm on the Canon and then 150-300. Mostly I like to capture the views but also if I see an owl or moose floating around I don't want to be limited. I only print 4x5's really, so I know noise won't be an issue.

What would you recommend for a lightweight kit in that focal range? I'm impressed by the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7 right off the bat, I can see it staying on the camera 85% of the time. I'm really on the fence regarding the 12-50, it seems ideal but the aperture really makes me think twice.

Thanks,
-T

I`d get the 12-50mm kit lens with the OMD, its not going to cost a great deal extra and its weather sealed to match the OMD.

Sure there are faster lenses but your are getting quite a lot for the money, 24mm at the wide end with built in macro to boot, its small and light as well.

The OMD handles noise pretty well so higher ISO`s for a slower lens is no problem, and its really not that much slower than other kit lenses.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow