Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
olindacat
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Technique vs technical....
Feb 22, 2013

I have always tried to adhere to the rule of thumb of focal length x 2 for steady shots handheld, but there are so many other variables which, as much as I'd like to follow, are time consuming and not easy for me. For example, micro-focus adjustments. I am embarrassed to admit i didn't even know what these were until this year, when I read here about the AF issues of the 800, which I own (E).

I downloaded a star chart, and tired my best to adjust, but when I got to my 24-70 and 70-200 zooms, I was lost.

I care about being 'tack' sharp but with the variables (clients in my face, wind, weather, clarity, light, etc.) I must confess I am 'weak' on the technical side. I just want to take good shots.

I'm curious to know what the less technically inclined of us are to do? I wish I could have someone fine-tune my gear for me as I am too busy to deal with downloading this chart or that, only to find I am too stupid and inept to dial in the right +/- numbers (believe me, I've tried).

I have posted shots here at 100% crop asking if I was meeting standards, I have read a zillion posts, but I am also curious to know how many people here are doing this technical work as a matter of discipline? I just find I need to worry more about the light, composition, and execution more than the technical side, but then I feel terribly guilty that I am blowing all that hard work by not being more technically inclined.

Do you microfocus adjust? Are you (like me) expecting your fine Nikon glass to match up with your camera, or do you force yourself to learn the technical side to achieve great results. I have found that if I grab a nice shot, no even if it is slightly soft at 100%, I rarely have to print that large and thus, it goes unnoticed (except for here ;-). How close to focal length is your shutter speed? How many here are using monopods with their higher pixel cams? (I am using one almost all the time for unexpected situations -- just to be safe).

For landacapes: I will go to great lengths for a 'hero' shot, but often I have to shoot a lot of scenes in very little time. Is anyone else facing this type of situation? RU happy with shooting a 50mm 1.4 at, say 3-4 stops down from max, handheld in the mornings? Or, do you lock it all down?

olindacat's gear list:olindacat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow